Raquel P. Romasanta
Raquel P. Romasanta has a BA in Elementary School Teaching (2010) and a BA in Foreign Languages with a specialization in English Linguistics (2016), both from the University of Vigo. She completed an MA in Advanced English Studies at the same University, where she also wrote her dissertation on “Synchronic Variation in Clausal Complementation: The case of regret in British and American English” under the supervision of Elena Seoane.
In November 2015, she was awarded a scholarship from the Spanish Ministry of Education (Beca de Colaboración) to work as a research assistant in the Department of English, French and German of the University of Vigo (from November 2015 to June 2016).
She is currently working on her PhD on clausal complementation patterns of REGRET in World Englishes as represented in GloWbE under the supervision of Elena Seoane. In December 2017, she was honoured with the Academic Excellence Award within the PhD programme in Advanced English Studies (Premios Excelencia Académica para novo alumnado de Doutoramento) and awarded a two-year predoctoral grant from the University of Vigo.
Raquel is a member of the ViEW research project (Variation in English Worldwide), a member of the LVTC (Language Variation and Textual Categorisation) research group and of the ELC (English Linguistics Circle) network.
Currently, I am a full-time researcher in the project Morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes and compilation of resources for its study (the Gibraltar component of the International Corpus of English, ICE-GBR); PI: Elena Seoane (Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness; grant FFI2014-53930-P).
I have also participated in the following projects:
- In November 2017, I worked as a research assistant in the LVTC group (Regional Government of Galicia; grant ED431C 2017-50).
- From July 2016 to August 2017, I worked as a research assistant in the project Morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes and compilation of resources for its study (the Gibraltar component of the International Corpus of English, ICE-GBR); PI: Elena Seoane (Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness; grant FFI2014-53930-P). I was in charge of the transcription and codification of texts for the Gibraltar component of the International Corpus of English (ICE-GBR).
MA AND BA THESIS
- (June 2017) MA Thesis: Synchronic variation in clausal complementation: The case of regret in British and American English, supervised by Elena Seoane
- (June 2016) BA Thesis: Clausal complementation patterns with the verb remember in Present-Day British English: Variation and factors involved in it, supervised by Elena Seoane
(In preparation) Romasanta, Raquel P. "Negation and the Cognitive Complexity Principle in the English Clausal Complementation System"
(Submitted) Romasanta, Raquel P. "Variation in clausal complementation in contemporary American and British English"
(2017) Romasanta, Raquel P. "Contact-induced variation in clausal verb complementation: The case of regret in World Englishes." In J. Sánchez-Fajardo & I. Palacios-Mártínez (eds.), Language and Dialect Contact in World Englishes. Special issue of Alicante Journal of English Studies 30: 121-147.
(2018) "English as the lingua franca of the Internet in a polylingual world: Creativity and innovation." Second International Conference on Sociolinguistics (ICS.2), Budapest, Hungary, 6-8 September.
(2018) "Substrate influence as a predictor of variability in sentential verb complementation: The case of Hong Kong English." 5th International Conference of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE-5), London, 17-20 July.
(2018) "The impact of substrate influence on sentential verb complementation across World Englishes." International Conference ICAME 39, Tampere, Finland, 30 May - 3 June.
(2017) "‘I regret that I spoke’ vs. ‘I regret speaking’: Variability in sentential verb complementation in British and American English." 7th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 2017). University of Vigo, 28-30 September.
(2017) "Morphosyntactic variation in contemporary American and British English: The sentential complementation profile of emotion verbs." IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2017. University of Coruña, 30 May.
(2017) "The clausal complementation profile of the verb regret in British and American English." Santiago-Leuven-Edinburgh seminar on Grammatical Variation and Change in English. 4-5 April, University of Leuven.
(2016) "The compilation of the International Corpus of Gibraltar English: Problems and prospects." Seminar The Sociolinguistics of Gibraltar in the 21st Century. 16 November, University of Vigo [with Elena Seoane].
As a member of the LVTC research group, I have been involved in the organisation of the following international conferences held at the University of Vigo:
- (28-30 September 2017) "7th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English" (BICLCE2017)
- (2017-2018) Modern language: Language I, 2: English (Degree in Translation and Interpretation)