Our interest in morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes started in the late 2000s when, as historical linguists, we became intrigued by conspicuous similarities and connections between the history of English and the evolution of new varieties of English.
- In 2010 Cristina Suárez-Gómez decided to explore relativization processes in some varieties of English and, together with Elena Seoane, she also examined variation in the expression of perfect meaning in different Englishes worldwide.
- In 2012 Lucía Loureiro-Porto joined us, and in 2016 Paula Rodríguez-Abruñeiras became part of our group, producing a number of studies on modality, democratization (Lucía) and exemplifiers (Paula) in World Englishes.
Since then we have broadened our interests to include the use of passives in academic World Englishes, use of discourse markers and the study of a clausal complementation patterns in different ENL, ESL and ESD varieties.
- In 2014 we joined ICE, a project initiated in 1988 by the late Professor Sidney Greenbaum, the then Director of the Survey of English Usage, University College London. It is now coordinated by Prof Hundt (University of Zürich), in collaboration with 26 research teams around the world. Our team is in charge of the compilation of the Gibraltar component of ICE (ICE-GBR).
We have thus far organized the following conferences and workshops, which have derived in 4 collective volumes and 3 Special Issues:
- 2013: Englishes Today: Theoretical and Methodological Issues (conference held at the University of Vigo). From this event we have edited two collective volumes, published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing (2015) and John Benjamins (2016).
- 2014: Workshop on “Perfect and perfectivity re-assessed through corpus studies” (ICAME 35 conference; Nottingham), convened by Valentin Werner (University of Bamberg), Elena Seoane and Cristina Suárez. Derived from this workshop is the 2016 collective volume published by De Gruyter.
- 2017: Workshop on "Morphosyntactic Variation in World Englishes: Apparent-time and diachronic studies" (International Conference 7BICLCE; Vigo), convened by Cristina Suárez-Gómez, Lucía Loureiro-Porto, and Robert Fuchs (University of Hamburg). A Special Issue in World Englishes has come out in 2020.
- 2018: Workshop "Democratization in English(es): Synchronic and diachronic perspectives" (ICAME 39 conference; Tampere), convened by Lucía Loureiro-Porto and Turo Hiltunen (University of Helsinki). A Special Issue in Language Sciences and another one in Journal of English Linguistics have come out in 2020.
- 2019: Workshop "Register approaches to language variation and change in English(es)." (ICAME40 conference, Neuchâtel), convened by Elena Seoane and Douglas Biber. The volume Corpus based approaches to register variation (Studies in Corpus Linguistics), John Benjamins, is under contract to come out in 2021.
- 01/08/2011 - 31/07/2014: Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, grant FFI2011-26693-C02-02. Title: “Morphosyntactic variation in New Englishes” PI: Cristina Suárez-Gómez (University of the Balearic Islands).
01/01/2015 - 31/12/2017: Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (National Programme for Excellence in Scientific and Technical Research; grant FFI2014-53930-P), €54.450, plus one four-year PhD research position. Title: "Morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes and compilation of resources for its study (the Gibraltar component of the International Corpus of English, ICE-GBR)", to be carried out in collaboration with researchers from the Universities of Zurich and Konstanz, and from the Garrison Library of Gibraltar. PI: Elena Seoane (University of Vigo).
01/01/2018 - 31/12/2020: Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (National Programme for Excellence in Scientific and Technical Research; grant FFI2017-82162-P), €60.500, plus one four-year PhD research position.Title: "Re-ViEW: A register approach to morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes and compilation of resources for its study (The International Corpus of English - Gibraltar)", in collaboration with researchers from the Universities of Zurich, Northern Arizona and Gibraltar. PI: Elena Seoane (University of Vigo).
01/09/2016 - 31/08/2020: Academy of Finland. Research grant 285381. Title: Democratization, Mediatization and Language Practices in Britain, 1700–1950 (DEMLANG). International Partnership with the Tampere-Helsinki consortium. PI: Paivi Pähta.
01/09/2021 - 31/08/2024: Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (Programa Estatal de Generación de Conocimiento; grant PID2020-117030GB-I00), €30.250. Title: "ViEW+: Morphosyntactic variation in International Englishes and elaboration of resources for its study (International Corpus of English –Gibraltar)", in collaboration with researchers from the Universities of Dortmund, Helsinki, Northern Arizona and Gibraltar. PIs: Cristina Suárez-Gómez & Lucía Loureiro-Porto (University of the Balearic Islands).
01/01/2023 - 31/12/2024: Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (Agencia Estatal de Investigación - Convocatoria 2022 «Redes de Investigación»; grant: RED2022-134920), €18.000. Title: "Multiligua: REd sobre bi/multilingüismo en España". Universities: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, University of the Basque Country, University of Valladolid, International University of Catalunya, University of Girona, Unversity of the Balearic Islands, University of Vigo. Coordinator: Silvia Perpiñán Hinarejos.